Scribbler Works

Musings on life, Christianity, writing and art, entertainment and general brain clutter.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hollywood, California, United States

Writer and artist, and amateur literary scholar ("amateur" in the literal sense, for the love of it). I work in Show Biz.

Saturday, December 10, 2011

BLESSING AND GRATITUDE

I thank my God in all my remembrance of you; always offering prayer with joy in my every prayer for you all, in view of your participation in the gospel from the first day until now. For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. For it is only right for me to feel this way about you all, because I have you in my heart, since both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, you all are partakers of grace with me. For God is my witness, how I long for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus. And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ; having been filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.

(Philippians 1: 3-11)

When I opened the Bible this morning to begin writing this, I checked the introduction to the Letter to the Philippians. The Bible I have at my desk is the Ryrie Study Bible with the New American Standard translation. It's very useful for quick checks of scripture (hence a good tool for a writer to have immediately at hand). Anyway, the introduction informed me that the church at Philippi was the first Paul helped established on the continent of Europe, and that the people there were dear to him. He was writing them in thanks for some financial support they had sent him in the past.

That struck very close to home for me, on this day. I've been dealing with a lack of money, and when I finally mentioned openly that I was in need and requested prayer that God provide in some way, I received not just an amazing outpouring of prayer support but also a surprising wave a monetary assistance. I'm not talking about huge amonts here, though. I mean people giving small amounts because they cared (some gave more, but I'm not going to rank anything by amount). It was the caring that was precious beyond price.

So when Paul speaks of his gratitude for these friends, it met me right where I am at this moment. My friends have been partakers of grace! They have blessed me, it seems, because in some small way I have touched them.

When I step back and look at these verses as part of the preparations for the coming of the Christ-child, I feel that it adds another layer to what we are called to be doing. Yesterday, when the repentant asked John the Baptist what they should do, he said that if they had extra, they should give to those in need. Here we see a consequence of that type of action. Paul has benefited from that sort of giving, and he is so deeply moved that the givers become even more dear to him, and he daily prays that they be blessed greatly by God.

I think sometimes we undervalue the effect that being generous can have on the recipients. I know that sometimes I have given to others because they were in need and I could do it, so why not. It was a very cool action, dutiful. But now, I understand the difference between that and the "cheerful heart" we are called to have when giving. I mentioned yesterday my first encounter after I started my "Me and Thee Fund". When I handed that man the two dollars and said "God bless you," I gave it to him with a smile. His face lit up with surprise, I recall. I didn't dwell on it, already turning back to my car as he expressed his thanks. But as I got into the vehicle, it occured to me that he probably encountered flat expressions when anyone gave him anything, nevermind the possible expressions of scorn or even non-acknowledgement of his personhood from those who simply passed him by. Apparently, the fact that I did it with kindness mattered to him. And, strangely enough, the memory of his smile is bright in my mind - a blessing to me.

And what about Advent in this?

My heart is so very full of gratitude for the love and support of my friends, and yet what they have given me could be considered small in the World's perspective. Oh, it is very big to me, make no mistake. But compared to the gift that God was about to give the World, what I have received is small. God was about to enter the World Himself, to take on flesh as Jesus, in order that we be able to come even closer to Him and His love. God's gift to us is infinitely greater than the gifts we give each other.

On Thursday evening, I attended a holiday party for an organization I belong to. I'd been looking forward to it initially just as an opportunity to get out, to think about something else for a time, to be around people I like, respect and enjoy. It was a rather tepid sort of anticipation. But then on Thursday, I began to receive support from friends, and each addition (of whatever size) increased the wattage of my relief and joy. But the time I arrived at the party, I had been so lifted up, I felt like I might be glowing. My heart had been greatly eased and it made smiling at others impossible to suppress.

I want to hold on to that feeling, and remember how small it is compared to what I really should feel in response to the gift of Christ. In our daily relationships, we live in small scale the blessing that Christ is to us. To receive blessing and to send it back out again to those around us, this is part of our Advent preparation.

So.... may God's blessings shine on you all!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home