Scribbler Works

Musings on life, Christianity, writing and art, entertainment and general brain clutter.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hollywood, California, United States

Writer and artist, and amateur literary scholar ("amateur" in the literal sense, for the love of it). I work in Show Biz.

Monday, December 12, 2011

THE GIFT THAT COMES FROM REJOICING

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
(Philippians 4: 4-7)

Last week at this time, I was really struggling with anxiety. The call to rejoice in all things and be anxious for nothing was really hard. When I was writing the meditation on last Monday's verses, the assurance that Jesus gave the repentant criminal was very dramatic to me. Faced with dire circumstances regarding my rent, I sat trying to figure out how to "count it all joy." Because I certainly wasn't feeling joyful at that moment.

And then I figuratively turned a corner and came face to face with an outpouring of love and support, coming from many different directions. I was deeply touched, often overwhelmed, by what I was receiving. Apparently my "gentle spirit" was "known to all". Often in the handful of days since then, the expressions of prayerful support or financial assistance have been accompanied by statements from the giver of what I mean to them - that I've encouraged them, supported them, done or said something that went deep with them. I have been astounded to learn so intensely just how much our seemingly small actions of attention and encouragement can affect others.

And I have to give credit where credit is due: if I'm a Good Person at all, it is because of Christ. The model Jesus gave us, the guidence in the Sermon on the Mount - those things have set the standard I strive to match. I don't claim to meet it all the time, but that is what I'm aiming toward. And there have been many times when my reaction to an action or statement made by someone else has been harsh, biting and bitter -- and Christ has either stood between me and my target, keeping me from "acting nasty", or He has nudged me to repair something I had mangled in anger, frustration, irritation or any number of negative reactions. The Lord really is near!

So, today, I have much to be thankful for!

I suspect I will continue to struggle with the "be anxious for nothing" directive. It is really hard for a control freak to let go of that, no matter how miserable it can make me.

But there is no way to express thanks and not be joyful. By last Thursday evening, when I knew the immediate concerns would be addressed, my thanks created such an inner flow of joy. I was happy to go out to be with friends. I was happy to be with them. I was happy to hear what was going on with them. I was happy just to converse about things we enjoyed, shared interests.

And it did lead to an inner peace. Perhaps it does "surpass all comprehension", for the main problem remains - a need for a regular income. But for this moment, I have much to be thankful for, and it makes me rejoice. And rejoicing increases that inner assurance that I am being watched over, guarded in heart and mind.

It isn't always easy to find ways to rejoice. So many people are facing hardships and major challenges. My prayer for others is that they find some thing to be thankful for, even if they have to start small. God builds upon small things.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home