Scribbler Works

Musings on life, Christianity, writing and art, entertainment and general brain clutter.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hollywood, California, United States

Writer and artist, and amateur literary scholar ("amateur" in the literal sense, for the love of it). I work in Show Biz.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

FAST ATTENTION


Whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance so that they will be noticed by men when they are fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. `But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face so that your fasting will not be noticed by men, but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. 

(Matthew 6: 16-18)

 

Once again, Jesus reminds His followers not to engage in religious practices for the purpose of being noticed by others. Time and again, He reminds us that the Lord give attention to our secret activities, the things we do when nobody else is watching. 

He’s said this of praying in public, and giving in public, and now He says it of those who make a big show of going on a fast. 

What, after all, is the purpose of a fast? 

These days, a lot of people seem to regard it as a period of depriving themselves of foods that they enjoy, “giving up” something special in order to show their devotion to God. After all, that is what a sacrifice is, isn’t it? Giving up something you value, in order to show God your devotion. 

It certainly seems to be how people approach the matter of giving up something for Lent. Sacrificing a pleasure like chocolate, or a daily stimulant like coffee. “All for you, Lord!” And then they spend the forty days of the Lenten season whispering and grieving the loss of the sacrificed item. Because the Lord is so pleased that you are giving this to Him with a joyful heart. 

Oh, yeah, right. That’s supposed to be part of the picture, isn’t it? 

Fasting is a challenge. Our bodies do need sustenance. They function better when properly fed. Our brains work better when they are powered by good food. 

But we can get too comfortable with eating regularly. And our systems can get a big sluggish when well-fed. 

A fast is a way of cleaning out the system. When we have gone without food for a time longer than the usual between-meal span, we become much more aware of what we are missing. The wonderful sustaining power of water is best recognized when we are thirsty, when we have gone without for some time. We drink the water, and we can feel the body rejoicing at receiving it. When we engage in a fast, much the same thing takes place, in a slightly more complex fashion. We become aware of the extended sustenance gained from good proteins, the relaxing satisfaction that comes with a small degree of fat, the energy that sugars in food can provide. The fast has made us conscious of what we take for granted. 

When we fast for religious purposes, part of it is to clear away distractions from the presence of God. Earlier in the Sermon, Jesus spoke of hungering and thirsting for righteousness. Engaging in a fast lets us act out that metaphor, to come to something of the sensation of hungering and thirsting. And when we break that fast, we can thank God for the food and meditate on how His presence should be to our hearts and minds what the food is to our bodies. 

At least that is what it is supposed to be. 

So why the impulse to make a production number out of our fasting? Why announce to others that we are going on a week long fast, wherein we will only consume juice? Why proclaim that for Lent we will be giving up cookies of all sorts? 

Part of it is the desire for accountability. We let others know our intentions so that they can help us stick to it. Rather like publishing our New Year’s Resolutions, by announcing our intention to fast we invite our friends to hold us accountable. 

But also, perhaps, there is the impulse to show off. “Look at me! I’m going to take on this challenge, just for the Lord. I want you to know just how holy I’m being here!” 

And it is THAT impulse that Jesus speaks to, when He says that “they have their reward in full.” If the faster was doing it for attention, he’s gotten it. But it’s not an intention that gives God any pleasure. 

The Lord sees those things which we do in secret. He’s paying attention. And when we choose to practice a fast in order to draw nearer to Him, it pleases Him and He is there to meet us. 

So I will tell you a little secret of mine. 

Often on Sunday mornings, I do not have anything to eat before I head to church. 

Okay, I admit that it began in part because I often dawdle in the mornings, and then run late. In the preparations to get to church, taking the time to fix something to eat gets shunted aside. My life is not so physically demanding that I have a great need to take in some calories in order to start the day. But the more it happened, the more intrigued I became by my experience at worship because of it. 

It really hit me with a thump one Sunday when Communion was served. Since I grew up in the Protestant tradition, weekly Communion was not part of my religious practice. But on this occasion, when I came to the chancel for the elements, I was much struck by the fact that I was there not having yet broken my daily fast. 

“This is the body of Christ, which was broken for you for the forgiveness of sins.” 

“This is the blood of Christ, which was shed for you that you may have life eternal.” 

Is this not a sustenance far more important than the intake of a few calories that will be burned off once I start moving about? 

After that, more and more, it became part of my preparation for worship that I NOT have breakfast before church on Sunday. I began to have more of a sense of wonder about what Jesus says regarding “hungering and thirsting for righteousness.” 

I’m not talking about arriving at church in an “I’m about to pass out from hunger” state. Rather, it is simply a matter of having, for this one day, put nothing, not even my own sustenance, ahead of spending time in worship of the Lord.  

I mention this not to draw attention to the fact that I do this. That’s sort of the point of what Jesus recommends, when he says, “Wash your face. Put on your best, so that no one knows you are fasting.” It’s not a production number for public consumption. I mention it to show what you can gain in the practice. 

I’m sure that there are others who have their private practices of fasting, who have taken to heart the Lord’s words about not drawing attention to their activities. I hope they too find that surprising pleasure in meeting God while unfilled, hungry for something more.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home